Capillary Blood Collection Kit & Laboratory Analysis for
SARS-CoV-2 ELISA IgG and IgM
For detection of exposure to Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2).
Our COVID-19 antibody test, using a capillary blood sample, is useful for the detection of individuals who may have developed immunity to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. This antibody test is also especially helpful for tracking the spread of the virus as it also identifies asymptomatic carriers. Test results, in conjunction with other laboratory results and clinical information, may be also used to help in the presumptive diagnosis of COVID-19.
Understand the COVID-19 Screening Test.
The screening test is primarily used to detect exposure to the virus in the recent past by measuring the immune response lined to the infection (Antibody IgG/IgM). An immune response to the virus is detected at approximately 2 weeks after infection in asymptomatic individuals and approximately 8 to 10 days after the onset of symptoms in individuals who have experienced fever and coughing.
COVID-19 Screening Kit.
The test system utilizes a capillary blood sample collected, via finger stick, on 5Spot Blood Collection and Transport Device. The device separates the blood cells from the plasma and provides for transport of the stable dried plasma sample to the laboratory for testing. The kit contains a 5Spot Blood Collection and Transport device, instructions for collecting a blood sample, unique barcoded test requisition/consent form, patient card, postage-paid, self-adhesive mailing envelope, a sterile lancet, an alcohol swab, sterile adhesive bandage, sterile gauze pad, and outer packaging containing the items above. Patient should be asked symptom related questions contained on the test requisition/consent form.
CoreMedica’s Blood Spot Collection is a quick and convenient way to collect a blood sample for laboratory analysis.
- Fast, easy, and needle-free collection that requires only 4 drops of blood from the fingertip.
- Collection device is sent to CoreMedica and professionally analyzed for a reliable result.
- Results are reported within 3 to 5 working days from sample receipt.
All required collection supplies are included along with pre-paid return postage.
CoreMedica's COVID-19 Test
Other Current Testing Methods
Sample Collection Procedure
Easy to collect fingerstick sample. Only 4 large blood drops required. No centrifugation. Remote location collection.
Venipuncture (needles) collection by healthcare professional. Serum sample requires centrifugation.
Sample Safety & Stability
Self-contained cartridge. Cover is closed and locked. Unique key required to open. Sample is stable upto to 2 weeks. Dried blood does not require overnight shipping.
Plastic tubes can crush and spill during shipment. Costly overnight transportation required.
Detect antibodies generated in response to virus infection (Antibody IgG and IgM.) Aids in detection of current infection.
Most only offer IgG antibody.
Safe and effective monitoring program. Helps to eliminate exposure. Easy collection with no licensed phlebotomy required. Patient can stay in safe area during collection.
Patient must travel to sample collection site OR pay costly onsite phlebotomy visit. Risk of exposure to patient and healthcare worker.
- This is a CoreMedica only, lab developed test. This test has not been approved by FDA. CoreMedica has submitted this test to the FDA for EUA approval (PEUA#200459).
- Negative results do not preclude acute SARS-CoV-2 infection. If acute infection is suspected, direct testing for SARS-CoV-2 is necessary.
- Results from antibody testing should not be used to diagnose or exclude acute SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- Positive results may be due to past or present infection with non-SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus strains, such as coronavirus HKU1, NL63, OC43, or 229E.
- Not for the screening of donated blood
Specimens collected with the HemaSpot-SE™ are stable at Room Temperature (70º F or less) for up to 2 weeks. Prolonged periods (4+ hours) of excess heat exposure (>100º F) may cause errors and inaccuracies in test results. Given this fact, the method of shipping the specimen back to the lab is not critical during normal weather conditions. However, during the hot summer months or during a Spring or Fall heat wave, the temperature exposure for the specimen needs to be controlled. This is especially important in the Southern parts of the country and Midwest during times of excess heat.
In comparison to all handling methods, shipping overnight is recommended. The quicker the lab receives the specimen the better. Overnight shipping also allows for expedited result delivery. During normal weather conditions, 2 day shipping to the lab is satisfactory however ground or regular US Mail is acceptable. During “High Temperature” weather (daytime highs of 90º F or more), 2 day shipping is strongly recommended and 1-day shipping is preferred.
Items to Consider:
- When possible, it is best to NOT ship the devices on a Friday during High Temperature weather. Store these specimens, at room temperature (NOT in a car or car trunk), over the weekend and ship to the lab on Monday.
- REMEMBER – shipping companies will, often store shipments in a non-environmentally controlled warehouse during the shipping process. This can expose your specimens to excessive heat during shipping in High Temperature weather.
- Analyses most affected by excess heat exposure are: Glucose, Hemoglobin A1c, and Lipids.
For Health Care Professional – Please contact us.
NEED MORE HELP?
Have questions but can’t find the answer? Please contact us.